AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some Trading Thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 1/3/2008 18:05 (#274778 - in reply to #274564)
Subject: RE: RAT-OT

Personally I prefer Heelers. They are very smart, very loyal and are protective. Had one that a neighbor gave up at about 6 months of age, was going to put the dog down because he didn't want him any more. I took him and he lived to be 13 or 14 years old before cancer got him. Little while later my kids were wanting to get another dog and we looked at cattledog.com and found a lady close to us that did rescue work, called her and she had one they were trying to find a home for. He's curled up in the corner of the office right now. Wally will be 8 this summer. He doesn't know he's a dog, he thinks he's my son's hairy little brother.

4 years ago we found what we think is a border collie x lab mix hanging around our combine one fall. Got to looking and there was food out for her so we figured she had been dumped. Had a broken leg on top of it. We took her to the vet, got the leg set, got her shots etc. Planned on keeping her long enough to get well and find her a home, in the mean time my Daughter fell in love with her, we finally fenced in the entire back yard for her, the kids built her a 6x12 shed and set it on concrete to shade her dog house and keep it out of the weather.

Last spring my son found a Chow x Lab mix laying in the field ditch when he was spraying. We brought him home with the hopes he would make a playmate for Susie the border collie mix, but the two of them didn't get along. We found a place that would take him and give him some training while they kept him, while he was there one of the girls that worked there decided she'd like to keep him so we let her adopt him.

I've also helped with transports of heelers. This spring I was all set to pick up a dog and found out the day before that he wasn't going to a permanent home, but just another shelter. One of the guys that works for us had mentioned he would like to find a heeler. We got hold of the lady in charge and put them together, end result was we picked him up, but he found his forever home right here.

Dogs ride in almost every vehicle on this farm. Everything has it's own water dish for the dogs. I take Wally with me where ever I go. He's even got a bed made up over the passenger seat in the Kenworth so he can lay there and look out the window. 2 of the three guys that work for us either full time or part time have dogs riding with them. Matt has the other resuce heeler, Kyle has a little Maltise ? that weighs about 3 lbs but thinks he's ferocious. My son Charlie has a toy Austrailan Shepherd that is cute as can be. She lays around his feet in the excavator and has her own high sided bed to curl up in on the dozer. On rainy days the shop gets kind of full of people and dogs.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

BTW, how far are you from Pana? Looks like you might be a ways north. I've got a very good friend who lives in Pana and trucks seed for Monsanto. They are about 40-50 miles se of Springfield.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)