AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rotary Hay Rakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 7/17/2006 23:53 (#27580 - in reply to #27261)
Subject: RE: Rotary Hay Rakes

Wyoming

Jay, I'd guess I'd be mighty skeptical of tall claims for a rotary rake in anything but grass. That's all they're used for here is the big grass crops, and then they're not wholly convincing over the classic Vermeer, Allen or Twinstar. When I look at how they move the crop across the ground, I can't help but believe that they're going to turn alfalfa leaves to dust in the process.

My choice, if I were made of money and wishes were dollars, would be the same as yours: that Twinstar. And the reason why is that those of us who have used basket rakes have seen them evolve from the Vermeer R-23/NH-216, to the Allen, to the Twinstar. When I look at a Twinstar now, I see they're selling solutions to issues I know exist on all the previous rakes -- and since we have a Vermeer R-23 and a Allen 8827, I have some "experience" with rakes now -- "experience" being defined as "What you got when you didn't get what you wanted."

The rotaries -- every time I look at them, I can't help but get the feeling that I'd gain a whole lot more "experience" if I bought one.  

I'd look at the frame, the bearings, the tires, etc. You know -- all the stuff that breaks on rakes as they're bouncing across a field. Find some deeper wheel ruts on your place and drag it across those and see what happens while the dealer is there watching. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)