AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your thoughts vs. mine on RR and Resistance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sdPete
Posted 1/7/2008 09:53 (#277642 - in reply to #276238)
Subject: RE: Your thoughts vs. mine on RR and Resistance

Beresford SD
The extension folks have preached rotating modes of action for years, but the RR thing has quieted that. Now they talk about residuals, half rate pre-emerge on corn or soybeans (but full rate would be better) followed by glyphosate. The cost "advantage" to glyphosate is no longer discussed, and frequently I hear recommendations to add certain products to the post emerge treatment for improved control of this or that.

Last year I was offered a promotional deal on Intrro, pre emerge ahead of RR soybeans. It is Lasso in a re-labelled jug. Worked just like Lasso used to.

Here, I don't see much $$ advantage for glyphosate crops. BUT, conventional seed availability is declining. And at the chem retailer level there seems to be minimal interest in weed control without glyphosate, what I hear is how much % of the acres are now planted to RR crops, who wants to put effort into servicing the few conventional acres remaining?

We have used used Liberty with decent results, but finding Liberty seed is tough, what I have seen has both Liberty and RR traits stacked. So far I have not come across anyone who can explain why that makes sense.

Looks to me like the seed companies are faced with ongoing challenges trying to figure out what traits to research and market. Plus how to handle the logistics of all the possibilities. Man, things were so simple 20 years ago.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)