AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dry chemical fire extinguisher maintenance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Santa Claas
Posted 7/21/2006 16:00 (#28675 - in reply to #28581)
Subject: Re: Dry chemical fire extinguisher maintenance

Wardsville, Ontario, Canada
Had to use mine the other night. I finished unloading the last load of wheat and thought I could smell garbage burning. There were a couple of houses close by and I thought that is what they are doing. So I headed home and about 5 minutes from home the cab filled with smoke. That gets the heart pumping. Sure enough there was a little fire buring in the insulation between the cab and the engine compartment. (Claas)
I carry 2 extinguishers in the cab and I got the fire out but couldn't get at it to stop it from smoking. So to be safe, I called the local fire department and they soaked it pretty good. Kept a little in the one extinguisher just in case it flared up again. After the fire department had it soaked, I started it up and drove it home. Left it outside though. One of the firemen told me combine operators should carry wet extinguishers as well. I see some wires melted a bit, so I will have to investgate further so that doesn't happen again. I keep the machine quite clean too so you never know. Be careful out there!!!
Oh, our wheat averaged about 93 bushels per acre. Best we ever had here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)