AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food vs. Fuel debate is real...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Mike Shimek
Posted 1/20/2008 08:42 (#287605 - in reply to #287218)
Subject: Re: Food vs. Fuel debate is real...

High Springs, Florida
First, I am greatly offended by the statement: "For the foreseeable future, that probably means higher prices at the grocery store and fatter paychecks for farmers of major crops like corn, wheat and soybeans." As we all know, in the food chain, the farmer reaps the least amount of profit, but gets most of the blame for high food prices. Take movie popcorn for example. The farmer gets maybe 5% of that $4 container you bought at the theater. But as we all know, crap rolls downhill, and guess who is at the bottom.........................

Second, place the blame where it is due: OPEC and OUR politicians. If they would increase production to quell demand, which they can, demand for biofuels would wane. Yeah, I know, then corn prices would go down, and farmers would suffer. If our politicians would stop caving in to the "tree huggers" and allow drilling in ANWAR and the Florida coast, we might make a dent in demand, lowering prices somewhat. Streamlining the permit process for new refineries would not be a bad idea. Like maybe 1 or 2 years instead of 20.

But as we all know, OPEC will not do that, and our politicians will not cave, so no worries there. Enjoy the ride! Going up to Lake City in the morning to fill up my truck, cans and mini bulk tank with B20. May even purchase some E85 and try it out in the wife's non Flex Malibu.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)