AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food vs. Fuel debate is real...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/21/2008 18:13 (#288889 - in reply to #288760)
Subject: RE: That's a KEY point I think we miss..

Pittsburg, Kansas

I don't disagree with you on getting rid of the subsidies. Just the time frame. There are times when it makes sense to subsidize some program that will induce the market to seek new solutions to problems that could cause major problems in the future. We decided to subsidize alternate fuel production methods because we saw that for national security reasons as well as other reasons it might be in the countries long term best interest to have some alternatives other than oil. I agree with that. I also agree with getting rid of the subsidies. But I'm not ready to turn on a dime and dump what was to be a long term program because of what may be a temporary market spike. Lets let this ride a year or two more before we bail out short term on a long term plan. Nobody believes it now but we could very well be looking at $3 corn a year from now and with current input prices that is not going to look great. If we dump the subsidies before the industry that we encouraged to expand can stand on its own two feet we may well bankrupt and set back an industry that could be very important to us ten years from now.

We have had high prices for what, one year in a row now? I'm not ready to dump a long term plan for a short term spike in prices. Knee jerk reaction.

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)