AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marketing Program-a suggestion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 1/26/2008 09:08 (#293535)
Subject: Marketing Program-a suggestion

If I were searching for a sound starting point to set up a marketing strategy, whether it would be livestock or grain or oilseeds, I would begin with detailed market historical data & statistically correlated patterns. A starting point.

This provides the basic tool upon which to make some plans & allows you to adjust as you go forward.

Many years ago, Roy W. Longstreet (grew up in extreme poverty) after working his way thru college began to evaluate futures price movements (and became very, very successful) by comparing those years in which the movement of prices were similar & then sorted through the supply and demand fundamentals to eliminate those years which were different. The result, a few years in which the similarities were enough to make a trading decision, usually profitable. Most importantly, a 'give up' point to cut losses.

Much later, he wrote "Viewpoints of a Commodity Trader" -which I am sure is long out of print, but excellent reading in terms of his philosophy on trading and on life.

Along these same lines, statistics-not fundamentals-There is a firm, Moore Research, based in Oregon, which I have used off and on over the years as they perform excellent statistical analysis & is the foundation of an idea for which my son programmed historical prices into my software except my ultimate goal is to merge the fundamentals & will be months before I get that completed.

Moore offers, as part of their service, charts in some cases going back 40 years & is one of the few places I know to get accurate charts of historical cash grain prices. Accurate charts. If you have an accurate chart & seasonal correlation of prices, it is a starting point for a sound marketing program.

Their service is reasonable (in my opinion), & have other services & in some cases offer so many types of analysis it takes awhile to become familiar with all of them, but you can pick and choose. It is a family type company & they have always been very accomodating to me & are client friendly. In other words you can email them & they answer almost immediately. In addition, I think they have a free trial period but don't know exactly what services that involves.

http://www.mrci.com/pdf/charts.asp

Edited by SeniorCitizen 1/26/2008 09:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)