AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6 Row danish tine culivator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/24/2006 01:25 (#29357 - in reply to #29264)
Subject: RE: 6 Row danish tine culivator?

I converted a conventional Deere RG4 to 6 row narrow (one less shank assembly) and carried it with my MF-135. The loader kept the front end on the ground though it did get very light. And as the hydraulic oil warmed up I had troubles liffing the cultivator. Never lacked for power to pull it, just ran into lifting limits. I'd think the Danish tines would be noticeably lighter.

Most of the time when cultivating row crops the concern is steering precision, not power. For sure at the first cultivation, most tend to run the tractor at an idle to creep along at 2 or 2.5 mph to not throw dirt on the young crop. Second cultivation I ran 4 or faster to throw dirt on the weeds in the row and hill up the crop. Often I tilted the shovels next to the row to toss more dirt. Can't do that with Danish tine shovels.

In the middle of Iowa, I've given up such things, the rains kept me out of the fields too much and the weeds outgrew the effects of cultivation. Glyphosate is more tolerant of timing and I'm getting far greater crop production.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)