AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Impressive.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 1/31/2008 22:38 (#298046)
Subject: Impressive.

I tried not to watch this thing too closely today, quiet markets, particularly this one spook me & I came in with the mindset this morning I would add on a setback & confident we would see that break in the next few days. Left late afternoon to run a couple errands & the evening session is a pleasant surprise.

Sometimes in markets we can get our attention switched momentarily and I think a common mindset developed all this week has been recession & coming in yesterday morning was ‘how far can this spring wheat run’ & is it a bubble about to break as a lot of bears were of the opinion all the grains would collapse when the March did trade; that reversal today speaks for itself. Let’s hope we get some follow through tonight & that we are not just running in the shorts we picked up the past two days.

Without a doubt, although I don’t think today’s stock market bounce was a real surprise, the extent of the rally in the Dow was impressive & it definitely helped some attitudes. I believe the underlying fact the Fed is printing money sends the message, as Dave mentioned yesterday, they fear deflation more than inflation. And in consideration of the state of housing, I believe they will continue printing for awhile.

Further, after reviewing the detailed export numbers & watching the developments in spring wheat unfold over the past month, there is a caution flag about being short any of these markets. I've sold corn twice in the past couple of weeks, it’s just not ready to unwind.

A lot of folks, in a hurry, just look at the export sales summary & I am suspicious, after a country by country review we may still have some sleepers in the wings requiring more beans & wheat in a supply situation leaving little to spare. However, this coming week could be light on exports so we may still have a skirmish ahead in the short run. Regardless, the market is moving the right way & an easier evaluation as today’s lows are a benchmark and would like to see them hold & hope they do as I am getting about as tired of this market as it is old. I like to have confidence in a market without being a fool about it & it is very difficult to maintain an aggressive bullish mindset when prices reach these lofty levels. A lot of risk. A year from now some of us will look back and wonder why we were so cautious, but the whole story will have unfolded by then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)