AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ouch!..ow! ...*#%@ grassburs!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 2/13/2008 07:24 (#308451 - in reply to #308012)
Subject: Re: ouch!..ow! ...*#%@ grassburs!!

Oklahoma
If you haven't taken a soils test, I would reccomend that. We seem to have a bigger problem with sand burs on low P soils although I have heard some argue the low pH. We actually had a field back in the early 90s that we treated with liquid P and the sandbur population seemed to dissappear that year and gradually built back up over 3 to 4 years to the level it was prior to spraying. I don't know if that was a sign of the bermuda competiting better or what. We also tried burning when it was allowed and it doesn't ever seem to hurt anything. Don't know what a burn with P application might do.

MSMA is labeled for it but if your like us you don't want arsinec in your fields. Several years ago there was a chemical called Plateau that was suppose to work well but it has been taken off the market and replaced with Journey. Plateau had Roundup in it and I think Journey is the same stuff only more roundup. IF I remember right the label says that you will lose up to one cutting of hay using it due to dinging the bermuda pretty bad. We used the Plateau one year for Johnsongrass and sandburs and didn't see that much loss but the chemical guys at Estes said no one really ever used it so its no more. Seems like one of the Estes guys mentioned there was a new product coming out in 08 or 09 that was suppose to be really good for bermuda but I don't rememeber the specifics of what it controlled.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)