AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 2/14/2008 08:43 (#309301)
Subject: For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb

Iowa
Did you see that ISU says $215 more to growc/c vs rotating to sb? I think that falls in line with what I was saying a couple weeks back, when you thought I was too high.
Actually I am not a fan of ISU's numbers--they are very generic, and are often quite different than what my actual, documented costs are.

Cases in point:
1) ISU's custom survey shows corn and sb combining rates are quite close. I know this is a SURVEY--they are just reporting what some people charge--but my actual COSTS are quite a bit higher for combining corn, nd my costs are all I care about. Using their custom rates to figure your machinery costs will throw your numbers way out of whack--you need your own actual figures.

2) The $215 quoted above for c/c vs c/sb is pretty close to my costs, but their $167 for first year c compared to sb is higher than my costs, but I applied all fert last fall, and fert prices are still rising. I bet they assumed RR tech fees on the seed corn as well--something that in my case is an unnecessary expense on first-year corn.

Upshot: It ALL costs more than one would think--a real shock if you have detailed data and crunch the numbers. Corn has a lot higher transportation and storage/drying costs as well--hard to pick it all at 17% or less.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)