AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

loran
Posted 2/14/2008 13:13 (#309522 - in reply to #309301)
Subject: Tommy,

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
If you missed my point that's to bad,The jist of my whole response on that thread was I grow beans and corn to SELL, if I decide to dry, store, look at, what ever extra, That has absolutly nothing to do with growing the stuff.

I still say it only cost $100/acre more to "GROW"corn or corn vs beans on corn. Which was the jist of the question I first responded --
------------------Illiosboy made the blanket statement-----------------------
"For real? It costs me a LOT more than $100 an acre to grow corn vs. beans."

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40032&mid=2856...

You keep bring up your trucks and bins, you DO NOT NEED them to GROW corn!

I have them too but mine are "here" to make money.

That's why I tried to say, to truely compare beans that your selling out of the field vs corn that your storing is like comparing apples to oranges all you have to do is get a "picked up" bid for your corn and bean. Then stop the budget right there, Anything you do other and after that better add value to it.

Shouldn't your decision to store be based on "capturing the carry"? Surely your not trying to expense storage as a growing expense?or-- just to have a place to go with it expense, and if your storing it to feed? shouldn't you price your hogfeed accordingly?

Do justify the expense of owning dryer's and bin's strictly based on how many acres of corn you have? or do you say "well if I do this I can make some money?" and if you do it for corn why not beans?

Again sorry if I offended your thinking in them responses, but all along it has looked to me that your comparing "in house" marketing plans vs the true economics of actually GROWING the crop. And I have no doubt what's working for you, but for comparision as I stated earlier these are the figures I have to go with on whole farm custom jobs where they are paying for every thing on a Ale Carte' basis and it make sense for them.

I know a guy that had 12,500 acres of corn one year and he doesn't own a truck or bin. Talking to him got me to look at thing differently and that's what I'm try to relate, It sure doesn't hurt to look what actualy pays and what doesn't--loran

Edited by loran 2/14/2008 23:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)