AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/15/2008 00:00 (#310079 - in reply to #309522)
Subject: Re: For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb

southern MN
I didn't notice the earlier thread, so sorry if I am barging in.....

Doesn't one need to have a marketable crop, and high moisture or more volume of something to haul will cost you money? Doesn't matter if you own the drier, bins, or trucks, or if you hire that done. The cost will be there on you, and needs to be figured in somewhere.

Perhaps you live in an area where the buyers come pick up at your farm, and you have very good drydown & don't need to dry much.

For others of us, that is not a reality. Your friend with the 12,500 acres of corn would either pay for someone to haul the grain and recieve a heavy discount on wet corn (both moisture & shrink), or he would have a rotting pile of it in his field.

Someone has to move the crop, and it has to be in the right condition or it will be discounted. These things don't happen for free. This applies to any crop, and these costs would be a part of production. If you want to leave them out, then why bother including combining costs? The crop gets ripe without harvesting it, no point expensing those costs either.....

These are real costs, and corn has to bear them moreso than beans in most areas. I can understand seperating out the storage costs as being part of 'marketing' and not growing the corn. You make a good point on storage.

Not sure what I missed in the other discussion.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)