AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

loran
Posted 2/15/2008 09:03 (#310273 - in reply to #310079)
Subject: Just trying to eliminate the variables

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Paul, the main point I've been trying to argue on this whole topic was when Illiniosboy said it cost him WAY more then $100 to GROW corn(emphasis on growing) as justifaction to grow beans, and so far most of the disagreement as I see it is guy's are comparing selling beans out of the field vs corn sold after drying,storage and whatever else, which hey, I'll agree if you look at them as expenses you can really get your cost up.

All I've been trying to say if you compare like situation's for a true comparision. If I'm going to dry,haul, store it, I better see some kind of return on that expense or why do it? All variables

I don't know about you but if I had a fleet of trucks running "commercial" why in the heck would a guy pull them from a "paid haul" to support my grain operation?

In this whole thread I've never said I myself don't dry and store some, guess what I do. I do it to make a little more on the corn after I've grown it. Heck I've even been know to store beans, but again, I did to make some money after the fact. I've even rolled a contract or 2 so I could store some after the crop was planted. All things that can change once the crop is planted.

All I'm trying to point out is eliminate the variable's for a true comparision, Drying,storage and trucking are all variables that can schew the decision making and only aids those that want to make "blanket statement" Next thing they want to start adding in soil quality benifit's and soil erosion & tilth figure's to bolster the position depending on the position.

I'm just trying to suggest breaking it down to basic's to see where the money difference is, not trying to promote piling grain on the ends Cool  --loran
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)