AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Loran: Cost of growing c & sb
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/15/2008 12:29 (#310453 - in reply to #310273)
Subject: RE: Just trying to eliminate the variables

southern MN
I understand storage is a marketing cost. 'Here' we store most everything we harvest - basis is miserable at harvest. You make a good point chopping that off of the what's it cost to grow question.

When I pull the field cultivator out of the shed, I start the process of creating a marketable grain product that I grow in exchange for dollar bills. I want the dollar bills. Any crop I grow needs to be conditioned & hauled away.

I would consider hauling it to the buyer, as well as delivering it at marketable condition, to be part of the cost of growing it.

Hauling & drying (if needed for that crop) seems to be a part of the growing process to me. They are a part of growing any crop.

Without them, you have no paycheck, no crop, you might as well have grown nothing.

I don't see how you can ignore those costs in any meaningful cost analysis. They are there for any crop. Someone needs to run the truck, or you do have an open pile of grain on the end of the field. Doesn't make any sense.

It's too cold to be out, I don't like doing taxes bookwork, so don't take this agrument as meaning very much.... ;)

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)