AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JOHNSON GRASS IN MY BERMUDA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 2/15/2008 13:06 (#310476 - in reply to #310462)
Subject: Re: JOHNSON GRASS IN MY BERMUDA

Oklahoma
I agree, you never see Johnsongrass in a grazed pasture. We also bale Johnsongrass with bermuda and feed it with out many problems most of the time. Problems occur when you fertilize heavy then it gets stressed. I know about 4 years ago we had a late July/early Aug cutting that got HOT. We still fed it but very cautiously as a blend. You can still blend it and get by. I know several producers sold toxic hay to feedyards because the feedyard would blend it with enough stuff to get the toxic hay concentration down to like 1-3% of the ration with no problems.

Maverick gets expensive for just hay but that will work. Might check with your chem dealer as I have heard that there is some type of a label in the works for Maverick on bermudagrass but under a different name. I have heard that Accent???? (corn chemical that is off label also) will get it done. If you mow it regularly it will reduce it quite a bit but we still have it in one hay meadow that gets mowed every 28-30 days. It may still be in that meadow due to flooding bringing in new seeds or seedbank left behind.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)