AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Govt payments...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Marv
Posted 2/15/2008 20:52 (#310788 - in reply to #310751)
Subject: RE: Govt payments...

Milford, Illinois

I live in an area of the country that has fairly productive soil and I don't see many new houses being built by farmers.  Those houses going up in the country areas are mostly being built by the city folks moving into the country.  And there are a few new pickups around owned by farmers.  You need to understand that pickups are a vital tool in their operations and can't be down for repairs very often.  They have to be dependable or the whole operation suffers.  If you're farming several acres you can't have any vital piece of equipment down for several days without the risk of losing considerable income.  It's not quite like the city fellow whose second vehicle is a pickup he uses to haul home dogfood.

Most farmers try to have enough equipment in good enough shape to do the job in a timely manner without costly delays.  Those who farm more need bigger equipment and possibly equipment in better shape than those who farm a little less.  Each tries to have available what it takes to do the job.  Just because a guy has bigger or newer equipment doesn't mean he has it for a status symbol.

The guys in town who "don't make as much money" probably don't have as much invested as the farmer, either, both monetarily or in education.  Makes a difference, you know.

By the way, my pickup is a 1995 GMC 1500.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)