AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizing low testing, rented ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

barren
Posted 2/16/2008 12:16 (#311178 - in reply to #310956)
Subject: RE: Fertilizing low testing, rented ground

Glasgow, Ky
Assume you are looking at this as a 3 year deal only and not expecting to continue renting the land after your contract is up. That would have a significant bearing on how approach things.

If the last crop grown on the farm was corn I would consider growing beans as they might not be as sensitive to low fertility as the corn. That would give you more time to get all soil test results back and apply lime and fertlize this spring. This would allow it time to balance things out for the corn crop next year.

If the last crop grown on it was beans I would probably put it in corn as you have planned. If you feel like low fertility was a factor in the only "decent" yields in previous years I would put on P and K as you had planned and then look at coming back this fall with more P and K if needed. That would help it be more available for the crop next year. Last year would put nothing and grow beans to scavenge the nutrients and keep input costs down.

Just remember to do whatever you are comfortable with. No one knows your specific situation better than you do. Wish you the best with your crops this coming year.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)