AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Residue management in perennial crops questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tallgrassneil
Posted 2/16/2008 12:21 (#311181 - in reply to #311080)
Subject: Re: Residue management in perennial crops questions.

West Texas
Hi Don ... this is one of the reasons I grow switchgrass in 40" rows ... to better manage the straw load.

If I don't want or need more straw bales, I chop the windrowed straw with a pull-type forage harvester and blow the chop back onto the field. Since the straw is dry (mostly) and light (mostly) it spreads out pretty good.

Every couple of years, I run conservation sweeps down the row middles to incorporate the chaffy stuff, and this year I plan to inject N behind the sweeps.

There are a lot of critters in my soils that break down the straw pretty quick, so by next harvest, I have only a thin layer still covering the soil. This used to be a cotton field, and it had always tested low in organic matter, which is what happens to cotton farms. Since I put it in grass, the OM % has risen, but after reaching a certain point, it leveled off and has been constant since.

My soil tests show a constant requirement for N. Constant meaning it doesn't vary by much, but it always needs some, whether I leave the straw or remove it.

I guess, in my case, the main benefits I gain from retaining the straw are conservative more than nutritional, although I welcome any benefit whatsoever that I gain from the straw.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)