AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some help on my soil test.......South Central Texas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/21/2008 20:27 (#316178 - in reply to #316082)
Subject: Hate to be picky:

Little River, TX
The problem is not protecting the roots but a case of almost instantaneous chemical reaction of phosphate with cations present in the available soil pool.
With 7,000 ppm Ca with it's accompanying >10% free lime that is characteristic of our calcareous soils.
The idea is to shelter the phosphate ions from direct contact with the over abundance of calcium ions.

If I were a row crop farmer I would consider putting phosphate in a band, as deep as the clay will allow during planting or nitrogen application. I would consider deep banding in the every other middle, in an attempt to have as high as possible phosphate concentration. This is roughly what I do while injecting anhydrous into my grass sods. As an added bonus putting Poly into the same slot as the AA helps to shield the Phosphate from the free calcium.

A short description of our Blacklands if interested.
Blackland Prairie soils are Virtic clays and silty clays with montmonlionic-type clay which shrink and swell as the soil drys and wets.
As a native prairie organic matter ranged from 4.4% to 6.0%.
The fine soil texture makes the soil highly adhesive. Mud accumulates on tires and tillage tools rather than scouring.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 2/21/2008 20:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)