AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Market "FEELINGS"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 2/21/2008 23:50 (#316368 - in reply to #316161)
Subject: RE: Market "FEELINGS"

Wyoming

Oh yes -- he's completely right of course, and I'm being a complete snark.

It took time for me to admit that soft, squishy things like emotions matter in a successful trader. I wanted everything to be clean, antiseptic, etc by the numbers. That's the engineer in me talking - "if it can't be quantified, it can't be measured, if it can't be measured, it doesn't exist" is a pretty strong tendency in engineers. Had to pitch that to the side of the road and admit that psychology and mass hysteria plays a HUGE role in the actions of markets.

I believe now that emotional control is the #1 thing required in a trader and there's really no way to teach that from a book. You've got to get your nose bloody several times, spend some time naval-gazing (lint and all) and say "OK, here's where I screwed up and why."

Now my personal indicator is pretty well established for relative tops and bottoms. When I walk away from the tube after the market close and feel preeeeetty pleased with myself, I catch it and say "This feeling always shows up just before you get those profits taken away from you. Go back and sell some!"

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)