AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ky doesn't recommend any N on wheat in fall?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 3/5/2008 10:12 (#326317 - in reply to #326166)
Subject: RE: Ky doesn't recommend any N on wheat in fall?

Kentucky
There seems to be some difference of opinion on this here as most consultants like 20-25 units in the fall. Being minimum till or no-till, I probably lean that way. The corn stalks are going to tie up some N that would be release when they are broken down. On a year like last with the drought probably none was recommended, but if you are putting P on in the fall, why not use DAP. It's a much better source of P than triple phosphate and costs the same here. 100-150# DAP puts you in the 18-27# N rate at very little or no extra costs for the N. I personally have found that the tiller count is easier to manage with a little fall N if you can't get on the ground in early Feb. and have to wait until the end of Feb. I could be wrong, but I think I remember Dr. Murdock at UK saying that if the wheat is sowed late some fall N could help with tillering if you get some warm days through Dec. and Jan.

I've seen UK's data at meetings in the past. The data doesn't support fall N year in and year out, but it doesn't hurt -- and in high yielding years for corn it might help. Basically, it's all about tiller counts and that comes from variety selection, seeding rate, planting date and N management. With all those variables there are probably several combinations that work.

Edited by Jmark71 3/5/2008 10:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)