AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

50 /50 farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/7/2008 06:43 (#327908 - in reply to #327739)
Subject: Re: 50 /50 farmingl....here

Chebanse, IL.....

here.....it's been a long-long time since landlords pd 50% of harvest costs. However, it used to be more common back in corn shelling days since there was only a couple of shellers in the area. I assume the tradition of paying 50% came from the statement of "what's common...". Anyway, landlord would pay 50% of shelling bill. Normally tenant was responsible for delivering landlords grain to closest market, usually local grain elevator. If landlord wanted his/her grain to go elsewhere, he paid that extra hauling cost. Probably the same was true back in threshing days on splitting costs. Not many farmers had threshing machines...farmer supplies labor. That cost sharing might've carried into the early days of threshing machine replacement..the combine. We did a lot of corn shelling & custom combining. We used to charge the landlord a "shelling charge" in the early days of corn combining. But, that cost tradition kind of died & disappeared while "most" tenants then got their own combines. I don't know of anyone charging landlord shelling/combining any longer.

Custom applications are usually pd by tenant here...unless it's an extraordinary application of some type that both tenant/landlord agree is needed. For example, aerial application of insecticide or fungicides. Or-even the "high-boy" application of a pesticide. Again, it's not commmon for most farmers to have their own airplane or high-boy...but that's changing too.

Same with "gps spreading" of fertilizers. Normally it's assumed the tenant can get a "buggy" & spread the landlords & his fertilizer. Not really a common practice any longer, but anyway, if the tenant would rather have it done by a "floater", then he pays....though not always. When it comes to lime application, it's not practical to apply w/a buggy, so it became common for the tenant/lanlord here to split that lime spreader application cost. Normally lime was given a "4 yr life" and if tenant lost farm lease before 4 yrs, he was reimbursed 25%/yr of the lime cost.

However...what was once "common" doesn't seem to be anymore. I think I've known 500 different crop-share leases, and 499 of them were different.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)