AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sf1 for corn planting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 3/9/2008 11:36 (#329710 - in reply to #329676)
Subject: RE: sf1 for corn planting

The planter may move around, I wouldn't argue that, but unless you locked down the hitch on a 3pt it will move also. I've had a mounted 12 row planter before and I'm not going back to a mounted, period, end of discussion.

We also don't have that many flat straight fields to farm. About 500 acres of bottom ground, but 1/3 of that is in irregular shaped fields and we farm corn on corn in the bottoms, we have a couple of fields in the upland that we can plant straight, otherwise everything up here is terraced and we have to farm it on the contour or at least we want to run on the contour so we don't have as much errosion. Not enough space between the terraces to warrant cutting beans at an angle so we pretty much have to stay on the row.

On corn I've even tried on our bottom land to shell 8 rows on one half of the planter with the guidance set for adaptive curve and then tried to come back on the other 8 just to see if it would keep it on the row close enough and that still would not work, even on sf2.

There was a post earlier on here that had some wiskers for guidance in corn, that might be a better way than trying to use gps. Kind of pricy, but I figured in a year or two they might get the bugs out of them and the price might come down some to make them worthwhile.

I just have a feeling that a few mfg's and suppliers are trying to gouge prices just because they think the farmer has more cash to spend now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)