AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Monsanto implied contract?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

j doc
Posted 3/10/2008 18:54 (#330850 - in reply to #330513)
Subject: RE: Monsanto implied contract?

Michigan
I agree with Ed on this one - a grower would be making a serious mistake and putting their livelihood/reputation at risk.    There are probably so few replies due to the touchy nature of the subject. I know what you guys can expect for the future - higher and higher prices and more and more traited offerings. Monsanto's mindset is one of profit - be that good or bad.

For example, I got this as part of a larger message today:
Monsanto updates 2008 pricing for Roundup® agricultural herbicide portfolio
On Wednesday, February 12, 2008 Monsanto's distributors received a letter updating U.S. pricing for Roundup® agricultural herbicides. A price increase was taken on all Roundup brands as a response to the current dynamics in the industry which is experiencing tight supply, high demand and increasing input costs. Pricing is effective immediately.

As a business owner we have price increases also, but I have always justified them with cooresponding explanation of higher CGS / inputs. (I guess I have run my business wrong) When I read the above what I get is there are a lot of people who are dependent on Roundup (due to it being the predominate trait in corn cotton soybeans and now sugarbeets - therefore high demand = high price = more profit.

I expect to see price in 2009 for soybeans in the $35.00 to $40.00 plus range and corn in the $190.00 to $240.00 range. It makes me sick. If commodities fall to the levels they were at last year what does that hold for the future of ag.

Edited by j doc 3/10/2008 22:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)