AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cruiser Maxx on Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 3/11/2008 07:56 (#331283 - in reply to #331271)
Subject: Re: Cruiser Maxx on Soybeans

Martinsville, Ohio
Captan has little effect on Phytopthora Root Rot. Thiram not much better but if you can control the other seedling diseases they all help so the plant can fight less disease pressure.

There is some metalaxyl resistance but it is still a recommended product, Apron in various formulations.

The Dynasty in CruiserMaxx is a good treatment as well as the Trilex in a Bayer treatment.

The seed treatment should be applied properly at the right rate on good seedlots. Seedlots are in question here this year, lots of poor seed. You can't expect a chemical to protect a poor seed. You need at least 21 days protection and that is what these treatments provide.

After that you need good tolerance or resistance to some of the 70 identified races of Phytopthera.

We live in Phytopthera sojae so we have some experience.

The seed companies in northern Ohio have even more experience where early notill is difficult in lakebed soils.

Jim Wellman does a good job at Delphos. Dr. Lipps helped him come up with Encase seed treatment which has performed very well. I am sure there are many more.

I must say Beck's has some of the most pristine soybean seed I ever planted. Iowa seed should have pretty good quality for planting this year from what I saw in my visits.

Give me an early planted notilled soybean in high fertility, fungicide, carefully harvested and handled and put on one of these new products on them correctly and it is worth $35 dollars per unit.

The others aren't.

I am fussy with seed and treatments.

That will be a challenge this year with last years poor quality seed crop in many places.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)