AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rob ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Beef Cen IL
Posted 3/12/2008 10:39 (#332243)
Subject: Rob ?

Center of IL
Here's my question, I've took the most expensive grip the last 2 years thinking the averages would pay off. Received nothing. This year looking at nearly $80/a corn and over $60/a beans. Am in good financial shape even though cash rent (1/2 my acres, own other 1/2) has increased about 1/3rd. No debt. Wonder if Id be better to take all that money and insure myself. Did 75% crc for years and never got a dime. 1980,88,95 we were close but no payment. It seems to me that using 10 year averages does not keep up with new genetics corn wise. I have the 75% yt3 corn so I qualify for discount. My 10 year yield is 158-164 corn and 51-52 beans. County is 172 corn and 52 beans. Am I nuts for wanting to chuck it and live by faith? $60 for beans seems absurd, lowest beans I've ever had is 35 bu. ( no payment)and that was 1 field that went through a tornado and 2 hail storms! 2 or 3 years ago there was corn within 2 miles of me that made 40 bu. (ours made 148) no payment by the way, so I know it can happen here. You got any recommendations for a tight wad that thinks maybe he shouldn't be totally at risk. I guess I'm not afraid of doing the grip but it seem like such a waste and really doesn't cover these 40 bu pockets. Any suggestions? What would you do? I think you will remember my county as we talked last year. Won't hold you responsible when everyone's waving their $600/a grip checks next winter !!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)