AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tissue sampling cost?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 3/14/2008 21:55 (#334163 - in reply to #333945)
Subject: Re: tissue sampling cost?

Little River, TX
The cost of plant analysis has not changed. I believe they only provide a discount for soil testing.
From time to time I have over paid for services provided. That is where the credit balance came from.

On tissue analysis, for bermudagrass hay meadows I use the basic tissue analysis, ($18)
For alfalfa I also ask for molybdenum analysis, at an additional $18.

For the times that I apply more than 500 lbs of Murate of Potash I also request they report the level of chlorine. (Another $8.)

For bermudagrass it is fairly simple. Three separate $8.80 soil test reports per field, and three separate plant analysis reports at $18 each. That is $26.80 times three for each field tested. For alfalfa it gets a bit more costly at an additional $18 times three.
Each alfalfa field is sampled roughly every 4 years. The bermudagrass fields are sampled every 3 to 4 years.
Each Field for Each Cutting has at least one hay test. Between all the testing I budget $1,500/yr for lab expenses. In a good year with more cuttings it may be more and in a poor year with only 3 cuttings it will be less.

I figure 8 tons of hay/A/yr is about all I want to handle, putting up small square bales. Even with long straight parallel windrows and the turning at each end on a service road, heavy production can be a lot of work for a solo, senior, citizen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)