AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Manure Spreader: Truck mount or pull type?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 3/22/2008 22:32 (#339812 - in reply to #339151)
Subject: RE: Manure Spreader: Truck mount or pull type?

Sunnyside, WA
We have 3 manure trucks and have had the same discussion as you recently about pull type or truck mounted. All our trucks are 7.5 ft wide by 22 ft long and about 3.5 feet deep, comes out to 578 cubic feet, or I think around 465 bushel struck level. I wouldn't want any bigger at all on a tandem axle truck. In fact, there are times I think we have too big of boxes. Our trucks run on regular 11R22.5 or 11R24.5 tires, but our soils are generally pretty dry when we are spreading. Been going now for about two months, and can't wait to be done! Truck requirements would be a Hendrickson walking beam with either 46,000 lb spring or pad suspension (I think this is a necessity, and I've tried it other ways with bad results), put a 4.10 or preferably 5.29 rear end in it, and have some power under the hood. Seems the boxes generally outlast the truck.

Now by the time you find a good truck, it will break down or get stuck when you want to go. We've been talking about our next spreader as a little bigger size and pull it behind a 230+ MFWD. If the hauls are under 3 miles, I think you make good enough time to keep up with a tractor with a little bigger box. And a lot less likely to get stuck on the field. If the tractor breaks down, unhook it and go get another one. Seems like the manure hauling window keeps getting smaller, or we keep having more manure.

Can't help much on vertical beaters, but they seem to be the rage. I like the spread pattern better, just not ready to convert our trucks.

(DSC01449 (600 x 450).jpg)

(DSC01450 (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01449 (600 x 450).jpg (61KB - 726 downloads)
Attachments DSC01450 (600 x 450).jpg (50KB - 701 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)