AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HIGH PH SOIL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 3/28/2008 08:21 (#343691 - in reply to #343392)
Subject: More or less,

Little River, TX
At least you do not have organic self imposed stress to deal with!

It is the free and available lime that really ties up the phosphate.

If you knew what the free lime percentage was it would be easier. Assuming the used the Olsen chemistry (sodium bicarbonate) you would like the phosphate level to be in the 18 ppm P range. You can then look at how much you are willing to improve the phosphate apply enough for that plus an additional 10 lbs/A for each percent of free lime. Here with much the same challenge I use 70 lbs/A of phosphate to effect the soil test by 1 ppm P.
Seeing this is rented ground you will want to deep band the phosphate fertilizer for the best short term return.

Your CEC is much the same as mine also. Not all high CEC soils are created equal. Here with my 40 CEC Soil I need at least a 400 ppm K soil test to insure there is adequate potassium in the plant. Without a 5 year, annual renewal roll over agreement banding of the potash would be a better solution.

You for sure do not need any additional calcium, nor magnesium. With that much calcium you will not be able to lower the pH or flush out excess calcium, not in your lifetime anyway.

Off the top of my head I would suggest banding, double the amount of phosphate you usually apply, also band up to 500 lbs/A of 0-0-60, and from here on use tissue analysis for fertility planning.

With normal tillage soil test results have considerable variability. Just because of nature of soil. Add banding and soil analysis becomes a real shot in the dark.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)