AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I think I fixed my 2-155
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

unifarmor
Posted 3/31/2008 10:53 (#346345)
Subject: I think I fixed my 2-155

Western Oregon
Thanks to all you gave me advice on repairing my 2-155. I pulled the engine and three speed. Fixed my leaky head gaskets, put it all back together, ran it two hours and retorqued the heads. At least the leaks are not in the same spots that they were before!
Pulling the engine was not as difficult as local folks said. First you take the special tool that is supposed to hold the PTO shaft in the three speed. You chuck the special tool out the shop door.... Then you block up the three speed. Remove motor mount bolts. Pull the engine forward a couple inches. Then lift. If the PTO shaft sticks in the tranny you unbolt the bell housing. Or in my case, the bridge crane wouldn't lift it all so I started by unbolting the bell housing so the PTO shaft stuck in the engine hub. So I had to slide it back together and pull the threespeed, then it stuck in the PTO so I unbolted the bell housing again. Um, sounds harder than it was. Plus you guys are all probably experts anyway.
I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I got the heads off. There was a crack between intake and exhaust on all six cylinders. Started looking for a cummins. Found a mechanic who had actually worked on a Hercules. He said bring me a head, "before you jump off a cliff." Made a quick trip to see him. The heads are built that way. Found out all sorts of interesting info about 2-155 tractors.
Had to make a special tool for tightening the head bolts. The head bolts were the worst as you can't get to them. Takes a 7/8" box end crowfoot wrench and they get torqued to 160lbs. Have included a blurry picture at the bottom of the page.
The other problem is that you need to run it for two hours and retorque the head bolts. So you have to put valve covers and I put the aircleaner on and then take it all back off. I had to pull the rocker arms again as my special tool didn't fit under the rocker arms so that meant another valve adjustment.
Now the rocker covers are leaking despite new gaskets.
Just have to fix that problem and put the tin back on.

(blurrywhite tool.jpg)

(Special white tool.jpg)

(naked white.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments blurrywhite tool.jpg (65KB - 299 downloads)
Attachments Special white tool.jpg (53KB - 336 downloads)
Attachments naked white.jpg (81KB - 311 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)