AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Cart tires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CrazyP
Posted 8/17/2006 12:26 (#36569 - in reply to #36516)
Subject: Re: Grain Cart tires

We sell about 25-30 used grain carts a year, from JD 1210s up to 1000B. We also farm and use two carts each fall, and I've worked for a custom harvester for two summers as well, so I've used and seen a lot more carts than most people. If it's less than 600B, 18.4x26 is fine if it's dry but not if it's wet - then you should go up to 23.1x26 or 28x26. 24.5x32s are fine up to about 800B. Anything over that should have 30.5x32s. However I have seen 750B carts with 28x26s and they're fine if it's dry.

As stated earlier knobby diamond treads stay up better in the mud but do slide easier - But who cares? If they slide i've found they pull just as easy when they're sliding as when they're turning. If you put on lugged tires put them on backwards - it helps them stay up better. I really don't think knobby or lugged tires makes any difference.

On tires that are non-drivers (i.e. grain cart tires) it actually seems to be height which is the determining factor - The higher they are the easier they roll, even in mud.

If it gets too wet and you have some duals around make spacers out of flat iron and hardware out of threaded rod. Works great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)