AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

off topick but I need some sunflower growers imfo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jd6400
Posted 8/24/2006 15:45 (#38422 - in reply to #38264)
Subject: RE: off topick but I need some sunflower growers imfo

Have been running a club myself now for over 20 yrs {to long}----- Ohio has had a dove season now for maybe 10 yrs now. I saw the benifits of sunflowers long time ago. Used to buy regular feed sunflowers from wally world pretty cheap and plant them with good results, problem was spray for broadleaves, after finding about the only thing you can use is Spartan as pre- em, had decent results but you know for doves it has to be CLEAN. I went to Garst and their Clearfield sunflowers with excellent results. As for getting them dried down for mid aug. I have to plant them by 1st week of May which hasn`t been a problem. The key to expelling the seed is a chopper, I tried brushhogging and could nt get enough seed spread to amount to anything. Follow that field with RR corn next yr. to clean your field up. We also use buckwheat in rotation, when ready just run a disk thru them. We start Aug. 1 disking buckwheat then start chopping sunflowers right thru mid sept. all our doves are local with very few migratorys. Annual harvest around 1st 3 weeks of sept. is 3000. After that we start pheasants.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)