AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wind Power Up Close
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Harvuskong
Posted 8/26/2006 21:49 (#38973)
Subject: Wind Power Up Close

Big Country Area, area in and around Abilene TX
I was in the area south of Sweetwater Tx, Nolan is the name of the town where the wind power units are being built or should I say, being installed.

Well, the units do make a constant blade noise while they are turning.

BUT, the big noise comes from when the electric motor up in the tower kicks in and turn the unit to the direction that the onboard computer calls for it to steer to for more efficient and maximum power generation. VERY LOUD, VERY VERY LOUD. And I have only about 25 to 35 percent of what is supposed to be normal hearing. And those things kick in every few minutes depending how much the wind shifts and changes direction. And it lasts for more than a few seconds. Seems like 60 to 90 seconds or more each time.

I now understand why some people have problems with having those wind units any where near their house.

AS for possible safety issues, I have been told that one of the wind units in 2000, in the Trent Tx windfarm, broke the main shaft or something like that, and dropped the whole blade assembly to the ground. Luckily, that windfarm is located entirely on top of the hill with no houses around, so no one was hurt. I am sure that it was a freak accident.

But you just know that the blade assembly hit with tons of force from the around 200 foot drop. There had to be some junk flying through the air from the force of the sudden impact.

Wind power is the coming thing it looks like, I am all in favor of it, but it is not all peaches and cream for every one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)