AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wind Farms; Why the objections?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ernie
Posted 8/27/2006 04:27 (#39045 - in reply to #38855)
Subject: My only objection is .....Cost !

North End I-15
We currently pay 4.7 cents per KWH for water generated electricity . Our Co-op says it would cost in the neighborhood of 16 cents per KWH for wind power. (rates to jump to 10 cents next year.) Coal power in the eastern part of Montana @ Coalstrip pushed our prices up from 1 cent to 3 cents in the 70's early 80's
Large wind project near Judith Gap /Harlowton area here in Montana (90 plus towers). Just prairies and cows in that area . 6 towers up just west of Gt.Falls Gore Hill Airport. They certianly do ruin the view of the nearby Mountians . Plans for large transmission line from Alberta south has put tower options all along the Rim country to the west of here. I grew up with 32 volt when the wind blew electricity (before REA ) . Were lots of days when the kerosene lanterns provided the light in the winter months . Every thing else , cooking , heating was stove oil .
The days of cheap eneregy are gone. Wind is certianly a viable but expensive way to go . We see 100's of units headed north on I-15 to Canada . The east slopes of the Rockies are an ideal wind generation area . Water power is still the cheapest rate in this area .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)