AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

camera's power supply on grain carts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/27/2006 16:03 (#39155 - in reply to #39104)
Subject: 12 volt

Pittsburg, Kansas

What I did was just keep looking around till I found cameras that were using 12v transformers for the wall mount power supply - then just cut the cord while observing correct polarity and wired them for the tractor. I bought the first color camera at Sams Club then later when decided it would work bought a pair of B&W cameras at Wal-Mart. Color is nicer for the depth perception so we mounted it looking into the truck being loaded, since that was our primary goal.

The original color camera was not weather resistant so we mounted it in a box so it would not get rained on but the black and whites were "weather resistant". We welded a protective metal box over them also just to protect them from limbs, etc. We took the time to make this a permanent trouble free setup.

We mounted one B & W on the left rear to look behind in both lanes for traffic, etc behind. Mounted the color camera on the top rear of the cart auger pointing down into the truck. Put it on the rear for folding clearance, protection and to not make the auger any higher than it already is on account of power lines, limbs, etc (Brent 874 cart). Our cart driver (youngest son) says these two cameras were outstanding successes - work excellent.

The third camera (B & W) we also mounted on the top rear of the cart auger looking back at a 45 degree angle down into the cart hopper and at the combine auger. This camera is to monitor the cart when the combine is dumping. We use a Challenger 45 which is pretty short and the cart driver cant see the grain stream from the combine and with the mirrors set correctly only part of the time. Jason considers it a "so-so" success. It does let him know when the combine operator shuts off the grain flow but the depth perception is very difficult so it is hard to tell exactly where the combine is dumping (front to back and side to side). We were hoping he would be able to see the load and drive correctly to top off (although most of the time we just put two dumps in if the trucks don't make it back or for other reasons sometimes he takes on another half dump to fill up). So we still end up keeping him at a constant speed and let the combine operator top off. At night it works great, but day time depending on which direction he is traveling in relation to the sun the depth just cant be judged - so it is not dependable. I think Ron talked about mounting the camera along side the buggy hopper - this might work better, for sure on the fore-aft perspective. I thought our idea was the best but it has shortcomings. We may try something different for beans.

Our color monitor is a flat LCD screen about a foot square found on a Wal-Mart closeout during a store remodel I think we gave $87 for it (it originally was around $300 I think). It is also 12v. Another possibility is a cheap portable DVD player. Most of these have 12v adapters available and have RCA or S-Video external inputs which is what you need for the cameras and they have a foldup LCD screen, lightweight - should work good. They can be bought for well under $200 depending on the screen size, quality, etc. and if the trucks don't get back at least the operator can watch a movie!!!!!

I think we gave 50-60 dollars for the color camera and 50 for the pair of B&W's, all had cables with them. The only other cost was about $15-20 for a three way switch box that switches cameras to which one we want to view on the monitor. We probably have a way lot more in our own shop labor to install and fabricate the brackets and protective structures and the conduit we ran the cables in than in the cost of the camera, monitor and switch.

The end result was well worth the investment. Now he can easily load over the tarp side of the truck or into a tall sided truck with no problem without spilling grain on the other side if the trailer is on an outward slant. We used to move the buggy only followed by a combine or other vehicle so someone could monitor traffic behind during long moves - now he goes when he needs to. Even the camera looking into the buggy lets him know when the combine is done dumping. Although this was never a big issue it is just one more nice thing that makes his life easier and less tiring - and the grain buggy operator in our operation puts more hours in than anyone else - combine operators sometimes get spelled off for a while, the buggy oparator almost never does and the combine operators bitch silently (and sometimes not so silently) if someone green is operating it. And he doesn't get many breaks dumping two combines picking corn. He has said more than once he is not as tired at the end of the day, not having to worry about so much and look back so much,

As far as cheap cameras and ruggedness, the little solid state camera units that are tiny (about the size around of your little finger?) I think will be pretty rugged -they are solid state after all - even the cheap ones. And at $25-50 bucks a pop who cares - one goes bad a couple screws later and a new one is on. Stringing the cable will be the most time consuming part of the replacement - maybe 10 minutes. The big bucks ones are probably better, but if you are a cheap skate like me for under $250 in parts this works just fine for me.

One other thing - the cheap camera swivel mounts will vibrate out of line from where you point them. Once the desired aim is acomplished silicone sealer can be caulked around the swivel and wallaa - rubber mounting fixed aim.

John

Edited by John Burns 8/27/2006 16:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)