AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cow herd questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

eddie
Posted 7/20/2008 01:42 (#418694 - in reply to #418678)
Subject: RE: How do you figure this?

That is the one thing I struggle with selling direct to the feedlot, the loss of price discovery, as I believe it is crucial to true markets, though I know it won't be long and beef will eventually go the way of poultry, hogs, and dairy, so I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Guess I see marketing potloads of reputation, proven feeders to feedyards, year in and year out the way of the future, what is left of our area salebarns has become more of a cattle trading circus, with only a few real buyers, maybe a couple big feeder runs each year that bring in more of the bigger farmer feeders.  The stories I hear and even some of the ways I've seen them sell stock, I just don't trust them, cull cows is all they get out of me.  I've been using quite a bit of Gardiner and some Sydenstricker genetics, mainly looking for a frame 6 cow that is thick with volume and can carry flesh on grass and cornstalks.  I haven't bought any cows for several years as I'm never satisfied with what I purchase over what I raise.  Sire selection is primarily from a female improvement viewpoint (disposition, udders, fleshing ability, etc.) and carcass is secondary but very important, as my buyer for my calves pays me a premium each year based on the %choice on the previous years crop.  This has worked well for our operation and we continue to try and improve each year.

Eddie

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)