AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bale Sleeves (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/22/2008 12:13 (#420012 - in reply to #419906)
Subject: RE: Bale Sleeves (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Roy,

Yes the hay was netwrapped last year. We had a LOT of rain and flooding. It seems to me that while the netwrap may keep the bale tighter for longer that the wrap itself doesn't really shed rain. I still had a lot of mold and spoilage. The hay was dry when put up. It was a combination of moisture from the ground, moisture from rain and on stacks spoilage wherever they touch each other.

Maybe in a drier climate or year it wouldn't be this bad but in WI last year hay was a mess. This year has been wet also. I seem to see more wrapped or tubed bales. Personally I don't want to get into full wrapping, just want something to keep most moisture out of the bale but let it breathe. A low cost substitute for a hay shed.

Hay price is up 25-30% from last year. I also don't want the health issues associated with mold - peeling off the outside of moldy bales left me with red eyes all winter.

I also don't want a whole lot more of that netwrap on bales because it is such a pain to remove. I think the plastic sheets would not freeze into the bale the way the netwrap does. The bales would still be netwrap under the plastic since that's the way my supplier likes to make them. I am just looking for something to try this year on 50-60 bales. May rent one if I can find a Tudor around. 

Thanks for your reply.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 7/22/2008 12:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)