AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dodge CTD or Duramax?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FlyLow
Posted 9/7/2006 19:50 (#42126 - in reply to #42094)
Subject: Jeff, thanks for asking--it's my question as well. Now, new or used?

South Texas
I can find lots of 2006 Dodges with Cummins/auto around 5,000 to 20,000 miles. Even the local dealer has 11 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 quad/shorts on the lot. 10 are diesel, one's a gas. Without actually asking what I'd have to write a check for, the used ones appear to shave some $15K off new price. It's about the same with Chev.

I've never bought new. Usually get one with 30-40K and keep running it until the wheels fall off. Current Z-71 Chev just went over 250K. Engine's original gas and is strong. Actual cost of lifetime operation, less fuel and insurance, is $12.5 cents/mile with consistent dealer maintenance so labor's included.) Seems a little high to me so figure I'd try a Dodge.

I'm sure the new/used debate can continue forever. Let me try to focus it a little. It's not that I can't buy a new one, it's just that neither my wife nor I can see any great advantage. Is maintenance really near zero for the first year or two? Seems it would have to be for the extra cost to make sense. Anyone know of any websites that track actual maintenance expenses over time for several makes and models?

Take care. Stetts
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)