AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-Till/Tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Maple Leaf
Posted 9/7/2006 20:42 (#42134 - in reply to #42119)
Subject: Re: No-Till/Tillage

Running that modified disk might help warm and dry up soil in spring but my only concern you will do more damage then good if soil is too damp. The reason is the Salford and Great Plains machines run the coulters straight so it is only doing vertical tillage. On a disk the coulters will run on an angle creating sidewall compaction and the coulters wouldn't be doing what they were designed to do which is run straight creating a little strip of worked soil. I have seen old chisel plows modified with salford coulters and I think this would be a better bet. Also, I have heard that running the units in the fall is a waste of time if you are going to do notill the next spring, a day or two before in the spring is alot better for two reasons: one being the soil temperature will increase more dramatically and secondly it is preventing alot of notillers from being in the field a day too early since they have an extra job. Every area is different but for soil that don't warm up until they get a little tickle, I think it is a good idea.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)