AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what ripper to use for corn on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/9/2006 23:36 (#42592 - in reply to #42543)
Subject: RE: what ripper to use for corn on corn....ours

Pittsburg, Kansas

We had one like Ron's - A Sunflower only ours was a 23 shank model 29'. They pull as hard as you want to stick them in the ground. They are pretty much like a chisel on steroids. Shanks are edge bent and springs are either 1250 or 1500 pounds trip depending on how you set them.

And yes the coulters do pull hard. You could really tell it when running with them up then stick them in the ground. We only ran them in the ground when needed because of the extra power it took. That soil has to be pinched between those disks and it takes more power than one might imagine to do so. Before I had one I would have thought the coulters might actually make the rig pull easier by cutting a slot in front of the shanks but not so.

I ended up trading it to a guy for a 37' Sunflower chisel plow. We just hardly ever used the coulters and since all the shanks are behind the axle it had a lot of negative tongue weight. For us, a chisel is more versatile. We don't need the depth the coulter chisel was capable of and so the chisel is lighter and can be used in more conditions for us. Get the coulter chisel near a mud hole and it didn't raise up, the wheels just went down. I had mud skidding over the top of the wheels one time. It got parked for the rest of that season (wet spring).

They are a good well built tool - just didn't fit our needs most of the time.

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)