AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling 15' Deep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 9/10/2006 13:57 (#42758 - in reply to #42595)
Subject: Re: Tiling 15' Deep

Ethridge, TN
Alot will depend on how that tube has been bedded in. If at least 1/3 of the bottom radius is supported by undisturbed dirt, and the trench isn't a "whole" lot wider than the tube, it won't deflect "to bad". If it's the typical job done with it being lucky to have 1/4 of the bottom radius supported, and good wide trench, with 15' of soil over the top of it, plus single wall, do lots of praying it doesn't collapse, especially if any the sidewalls sheared and fell in as a chunk, which can happen easily digging in that sort of water. The shearing piece can force the tile to the side of the trench, moving it out of the groove, which has now just taken care of your grade, plus with enough force to severally dent the tube, which now gives you a weak spot. I always hated deep digs when I was doing tiling, and there were times just due to saturated soils and sidewall shearing that even 4' cuts could present you with some real problems. I would hope they at least used an extended shoe to try and make sure that tube was situated in the grove properly, and that it has a fair amount of grade on it.

The other thing that was always fun was tile floating, when you had to dig thru water. That stuff could come up just enough to allow dirt to get down around under it and screw the grade up. Have had to have someone walking in the boot more than once keeping it down and hand raking dirt in to hold it. Was some really slow digging. Of course, my experience is with a wheel machine, maybe the chain machines have less issues in this concern???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)