AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tractor ride
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 9/10/2006 20:43 (#42858 - in reply to #42778)
Subject: I'd say yes

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
The 6420 I rake with had 18.4 R38's I believe when the boss bought it. He ordered it with the same tires that are on his 6410, can't name the size off of the top of my head but they are fairly skinny, and on 46" wheels. It took two (yes two ;)! ) full years to get those tires and wheels for the 6420, but man what a difference. The ride is 10x better in the field. On the road at high speeds the new tall tires seem to want to road hop between 20-23mph but go faster or slower and it smooths out. I'm thinking we need to ajust the air pressure as they are set low right now. The difference in the ride in the field really surprised me as there is now less rubber between the wheel and the ground, but the outside circumference of the tire is so much bigger it rides over more bumps, instead of hitting each one. The footprint is longer and narrower, which seems to make a much better ride in a hay field. More clearance too, if a guy wants to straddle a windrow. Also eliminated any side to side bounce or flex in the tires. The tractor sits up higher now, so I can see better but it makes it a little harder for me to drag myself up in there. Still I'd much rather have this size, the difference in the ride is like night and day. I can get the size if you want, but I am sure it is the tallest tire you can stick on a 46" wheel under a 6000 series, as there isn't much room left under the fender. Looks like you are looking at different sizes anyway, but I'd say go tall and narrow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)