AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems with 1020 head
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 9/13/2006 12:25 (#43471 - in reply to #43421)
Subject: It's a 1020 head, that's typical

I'm not sure if you are trying to say the cracks are on the A frame or on the main frame around it. I've never had a problem with the main frame. Lots of problems with the A frame. Newer one's were heavier, but still cracked, just too much vibration on too little steel. If it does't have the new A frame I'd put a new one on to start out with then in a few years it will crack too. You need to watch the bushings on the back of the A frame very close, once they get a little wear it lets it slap back and forth and that makes the problem show up even faster.

While you're at it, look closely at the front end of the sickle supports, I call them runners, the tubing that pivots at the rear and is bolted to the guards guards and sickle bar support in the front. We had a lot of trouble with the front angle iron breaking loose from the tubing of the runner. Packed them all up once and shipped them back to the factory with a note to send the welders to school again.

Some of the cracks were caused by weak steel, some were welds that did not penetrate on one side or the other, really poor quality. When we had 1020 heads we ended up completely rebuilding them with all new runners every 2 years because at some point in the third year they would start to break apart.

Good luck,
Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)