AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 7720 Oil Leak
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BRIAN
Posted 9/19/2006 19:37 (#45017)
Subject: JD 7720 Oil Leak

Graymont Illinois

10 quarts in 3.5 miles. Finished up work on combine and was moving back to main farm 16 miles away. Engine holds 21 quarts with filter.

I had changed oil and filter earlier while working on combine. Ran combine several times in yard to raise and lower feederhouse, and other things and never noticed any oil leak with hood up. Nothing on feeder house.Of coarse I washed all the windows before trip. Made it 3.5 miles and all of a sudden right side window started getting wet spray then motor area started smoking. Pulled over and shut off combine.

Neighbor happened by and we started motor up and gasket to oil filter was spraying oil out. Came back with old oil gasket and oil and rags and fire extinguisher. About 1 hour till  dark.

Ran combine to neighbors yard 1/4 mile away.. Should I finish 12.5 mile trip tomorrow or turn around and go 3.5 miles and powerwash engine when cooled off?

The 10 quarts includes the oil I lost when changing oil filter gasket. I think the oil just cut loose shortly before I noticed windows and smoke. I was watching oil pressure because I had just changed oil. A habit I have. Pressure was normal when I shut down. No oil on road from home to place parked.

Neighbor does not think much chance of engine fire. Probably smoke alot. Engine area completly soaked. Thinking of finishing trip and then power washing engine windows and belts! under radiator. Do you think any damage done to engine? I do not think so.

Not a good omen. Brian edit..., with hood door up for rest of trip , I can watch engine from cab.

Edited by BRIAN 9/19/2006 19:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)