AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auto header height for corn heads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 9/20/2006 09:26 (#45177 - in reply to #45092)
Subject: Re: Auto header height for corn heads

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Dave,

I run a Case/IH 1063 with the AHC and field tracker. It works well in goose-neck or somewhat lodged corn. In really down, flat corn, Ted is right... a dangling sensor will ride up over those crossway stalks and the head comes up thinking it is running too low when in fact it is too high. I also hear that this is a problem if one gets off the row... the head comes up when the sensor finds the actual row and root ball.

I have never run a Deere but hear they are somewhat similar in design. The 2166 I run has a height function called Return to Cut which works well but doesn't use those sensors. Also, thanks to Dad's suggestion (after grumbling from me that my AHC wasn't working in down/flat Pioneer 34B23 a few years ago) using the height readout on the "A" post, I often just run in manual.

From the early August storm, most all our corn around here is varying degrees of flat. It is flat enough that Pioneer abandoned harvesting their research plot on our farm as they can't see the alleys to stop the combine between ranges.

Best of luck,
Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)