AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dodge U-Joints failing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 9/21/2006 13:09 (#45443 - in reply to #45311)
Subject: RE: Dodge U-Joints failing

Callao, Missouri
9400-

I had the same trouble with my 02 dodge 3500 dually w/ 3.73 limited slip rear end. I had went through about 5 rear u-joints in about 70k miles. I also had trouble keeping the pinion seal from leaking. My dealer insisted that it was something that I had to be doing, like driving through hay fields, etc. I told him that it was the wrong season for that. The second time that they replaced the pinion seal, they found that the breather tube was clogged, and blamed it on that. I put the tube into a quart oil jug held upside down to prevent any further worries about that. By then I suspected that my rear end was causing all the trouble, but they wouldn't listen. Finally on the third seal failure, I demanded that they take the diff cover off to have a look inside. If it was my fault for just getting things tangled around the pinion, then I shouldn't of been going through so many rear u-joints (AND I NEVER HAD TO REPLACE ANY OF THE OTHER JOINTS!).

When they took the cover off, they found the root problem- rear end wasn't set right from the factory, and was worn out. I got a new rear end under warrenty (whew!, just barely still in warrenty), and haven't had a problem since.

If your pinion seal is leaking as well, I'd recommend that they pull that cover!

I've had quite a few problems with the truck, but even more with the dealer, their policy seems to be to fix the symptoms, not look for the problem.

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)