AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Reels, How effective?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 9/22/2006 20:39 (#45829 - in reply to #45671)
Subject: Re: Corn Reels, How effective?

South Georgia
Several folks here have asked about corn reels lately, so I guess I'll throw my nickel's worth in. We bought a Kelderman reel last year for our 4-row poly Deere head. Works okay, but then the alternative, is, what? Pitch-forking it in? Heck of a lot better than that. I'd guess that in the worst spots, I may only get sixty or seventy percent, but with a wider head, you'd get more. I lose most of it over the ends of the head. The biggest drawback of it is that it's held at the right position by chains, and I raise my snouts every morning to grease my gathering chain idlers, and get the dirt out of that tensioner (otherwise that'll be another problem, with all the dirt associated with down corn). With those chains holding it, it's a two or three man operation to raise it so you can raise your snouts. This year, I replaced the chains with two 2"x8" hydraulic cylinders, that I plug my header speed hyd. hose into, to raise it. Much better this way. Another pretty bad drawback is that if you've got any morningglory, that sucker'll wrap it up like you wouldn't believe.

I think maybe it could have a little bit more hydraulic motor on it, but it works pretty good in a really bad situation.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)