AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain bin Fire!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rob D
Posted 10/16/2006 09:04 (#51931)
Subject: Grain bin Fire!

s.c. north dakota
we run a small feedlot here in NoRDakota and because of the dry conditions we contracted corn gluten pellets from Cargill. We put them in a 3600 bu. hopper bin that we feed out of every day. They come in at less then 8 % moisture so we didn't think there would be a problem with storage. We feed out of it every day so it should have moved any hot spots. About 2 weeks ago, a dent formed in the side of the bin so we figured we just had a wet spot sticking to side of the bin and pulling it in. We had less than 1000 bu. left when smoke started coming out the hatch last Sat. morning! We cut a couple holes in the cone to get as much out as we could, but that wet chunk came down and wedged in the cone and stopped every thing-except the fire. If anybody has a corn burning stove, I think you have a good supply of fuel that you could use. This thing burned for a week even after we pulled it out of the yard into a field. I have had 2 other guys call to tell me their bins started on fire in the last couple weeks. Same product, same place. Maybe we should have been checking moisture ourselves. Rob D
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)