AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MN Corn Harvest & Fall Corn on Corn Strip Till Photos from Yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 10/16/2006 09:08 (#51933 - in reply to #51736)
Subject: Question

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim, How can you run a head higher?? I am running my snouts right on the ground. After the last 2 days of wind there is alot of stalk breakage. We had winds in excess of 40mph.
I realize one could ajust the snouts lower thus raising the height of the head, but what do you do where the ground needs tile and the corn has ears hanging on the ground or for that fact the hills,same situation.
Running the head higher just does not seem practical at all. If one adjusts the snouts lower will I not have problems with feeding down stalks??Some of the stalks are at an angle to the row,picks up good going north but sucks going south.
Manufactures have gone to lower profile heads. They feed better in down stalks and have less shelling at the head. Do you recommend we go back to the older higher profile heads??I always run my snouts on the ground as there always is some stalk breakage.
Also is there a difference in shelling at the head in tougher conditions between the cast iron rolls and the conventional flutes??
Cost to change over??
Please explain.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)